Background

Monday, January 5, 2009

End of Vacation

I'm trying to catch up the blog with the last week of our vacation, so I'm just going to sum it up in one post. On Sunday, yours truly caught the flu...ugh! I woke in the middle of the night feeling nauseous, but we decided to go to church in the morning anyway...bad idea. Luckily, I had a Ziploc bag with me!!! I felt better after that, and went out with my good friend Mary for dinner. Later, I started feeling sick again, so I cancelled all of Monday's planned events. Tuesday, we went up to Knoxville to visit Andy's grandmother in the nursing home. She looked good and remembered everyone, although she was a bit quiet. Tuesday night, some of my friends from nursing school and the hospital got together at Patience's house. We had fun talking about old times and, of course, eating! PT had a great spread of hor'deurves and margaritas! Wednesday was New Year's Eve. We went over to my sister's house for pizza and ping pong. It was actually a lot of fun (although I don't know if Angela will be hosting anymore events, as we smoked her in ping pong)!!! Thursday was New Year's Day...also my birthday! We ended up visiting Andy's dad in the hospital (he had been sick all vacation and finally had to be hospitalized). I did get to see Dr. Gupta...a nice little eye candy/birthday present to me (although Andy doesn't understand my infatuation with him)!!! I also got a famous rice krispie treat from the good 'ol cafeteria...it's the little things in life that make me happy!!! That night, my family took me out for dinner and then, back home to pack. Friday, we made the trip down to St. Louis so we could fly back to Phoenix. We had absolutely no troubles on our flight here, but on the way home, A.J. started bawling when he had to put his backpack through x-ray. To make matters worse, we had to have the diaper bag checked by security (which we did on the way to IL, so I didn't think anything of it). I had individual cans of formula in the bag, which I had declared to security (and according to TSA, baby formula can exceed 3 oz. and does not have to be checked). The lady wanted me to open all the cans of formula so she could do a test on the liquid. One, I did not have to open the formula on the flight from Phoenix to St. Louis; two, anyone who formula-feeds knows that once opened, formula is only good for 1 hour; and three, the same lady let the people in front of me carry on a can of Ensure without opening it. I was livid!!! I don't think Andy had ever heard the amount of choice words that were coming from my mouth! Luckily, I had some powdered formula with me, so we just had to buy some water (by the way, why can I carry on an opened container of powdered baby formula--a white powder which could be anything--but not sealed cans of formula???). Needless to say, the TSA has already received a complaint email from me!!! But, we landed safely to blue skies and 70 degree weather, and all's well that ends well.


4 generations--Andy, Noreen, Helen, and Isaac

Me and Steph

Kelly, Stephanie, Patience, me, and Ellen

Such determination on A.J.'s face

Even Mom got in on the ping pong action!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

hi hollie, i got your comment a few weeks back and then we got a spam scare, so i closed my blog for a few weeks. it's opened back up.... enjoy! our vacation was identical to yours, family, friends, food, & FLU!